I belong to the school of thought that considers selling of products to be more like an art than anything else.
Have you ever wondered what made salespersons so special? They would begin with one strategy and end up making you reconsider your resolve.
They just know how to convince (or even, confuse) anyone to buy anything. Quality salespersons understand the effect of persuasion and can effectively employ these skills in their businesses.
Well, if you have ever thought of the efforts needed in pushing through with sales then this could be for you.
Let’s Meet Jordan Belfort
Jordan Belfort is one man who many will consider a typical salesperson. Well, he has spent a great deal of his life selling stuff. Just stuff!
Ever had a court direct you to pay restitution? You would be all out getting any job possible just to save your seat.
Jordan Belfort had to sell different kinds of things of goods and services in order to pay for restitution for many mistakes of his.
He had run several other companies before and had been involved in some fraudulent and exploitative activities too. He was convicted in 1999 for securities fraud and money laundering and had to spend some 22 months in some facility. After that he has also been involved with some other business.
With a court order requiring him to pay some $110 million to victims, Belfort had to go all out to find a way.
The wealth of experience he had gained while being a salesperson trying to make up his lot led him to a psychological and motivational expanse from which has risen the Straight Line Persuasion System.
You would have also known by now that he had written a couple of books namely The Wolf of Wall Street (2007), Catching the Wolf of Wall Street (2009) and Way of the Wolf (2017).
He also became famous after his book, The Wolf of Wall Street was adapted into a movie. He has, practically, sold in the most difficult situations and had many clients seeking his products.
The Straight Line Persuasion System: A Look at the System
The Straight Line Persuasion System is a platform where Jordan Belfort teaches his subscribers to be able to ethically persuade their prospective clients to buy from them.
He developed a system that is centred on persuasion, influence and sales.
The program offers training in making successful sales. Jordan Belfort now passes his knowledge, which he used in the 1990s but in a negative way, to his students.
The online package has the following sections:
Module 1: The Basic Tenets of Straight Line Persuasion
Module 2: The Art and Science of Prospecting
Module 3: Mastering the Art of Tonality
Module 4: Being a Leader and a Visionary
Module 5: The Inner Game of Sales
Module 6: The 5 Key Elements of The Straight Line System
Module 7: The Art and Science of Qualifying
Module 8: Creating Presentations That Close Anyone Who is Closable
Module 9: The Art and Science of Looping: How to Turn Objections into Closes
Module 10: Creating Customers for Life and Generate Massive Referrals
Could it be a Scam?
The outlook of the Straight Line persuasion has the form of an objective program. The issue I have with it is the fact that Jordan Belfort has been involved in scams previously. Besides, he has been accused severally even after his prison sentence. This leaves me wondering if it’s wise that one follows a man who did not change his ways that easily.
On the other hand, since he finally changed his ways and has come to educate us on how to use these skills in an ethically acceptable way, scam should not be too close to you.
A look at Both Sides
What would you benefit from a man who just stands to blab about some skills and not systematically educate you? Little or nothing. However, Jordan Belfort has had some following with his teachings sometimes he is paid around $30,000 – $75,000.
Join me as we structurally examine the pros and cons of this enterprise.
- He shares practical knowledge. This makes him one teacher you should never miss to pay some attention. He has a great background knowledge plus research. His level of experience makes him natural with the process. He fits so well into the program. The approach of Jordan Belfort is such that you would want to try it out yourself because of the practical perspective that he applies. Now tell me, who would not want to follow a big fish? He is just a champion in this profession. All of these make him stand out.
- He is a motivator. Jordan Belfort’s attitude to the persons he lectures shows a great deal of charisma and readiness. This kind of confidence inspires trust and reliability from clients. Jordan Belfort seems to have it all. He pushes it out to his subscribers and tends to inspire a strong sense of duty and passion. Know this; such confidence is necessary in the proper closing of deals and successful execution of a sales project. Jordan Belfort has to know all of these; little wonder he added all of it into his materials.
- It offers a full and convenient package. The Straight Line persuasion program offers users audio recordings, a workbook and DVD lectures of Jordan Belfort. You also have the chance to communicate with him in person in a one-year mentorship program provided in the course. The system is a good fit for persons who want to solve their sales issues. Drawing from the inspiration offered by a man who raced against time to make enough money to pay people whom he had defrauded. His materials are easy to use and do not require some special technique. It can be used by anyone, anytime, anywhere.
- The materials could be found elsewhere. Sales and sales techniques are as old as time. Different people have written down different materials for sales success in different civilizations. This implies that the techniques discussed in Jordan Belfort’s Straight Line Persuasion do not have any form of uniqueness attached to them. They could just be his combination and skill employed in knitting them together. Sales information can be found in journals and blogs and on YouTube at the snap of your fingers. You see. His work may not be original after all.
- Sales environments are not as homogenous as the program tries to imply. Jordan Belfort may have made a headway with his sales techniques; this does not mean it will be the same for others no matter how much training acquired. Some persons require more than a training with Straight Line Persuasion to make a headway in their sales. Some would require some extreme conditions in order to harness their sales potential. Still others would make no difference regardless of the efforts made. I would advise that you take for yourself what you can deal with. Otherwise, it’s no use comparing yourself with the wolf of Wall Street. He has learnt his lessons: go learn yours.
- The program is overpriced. Lying somewhere around $2,000, except in cases where there is a bonus, this program is just exaggerated way over the top for its worth. It provides helpful material though. However, it does not compare to the price for which it is provided. The cost should be cut soon before participants will become wiser in their assessment of the provisions and feel exploited. Sales is a custom everywhere. The trouble of going out of your way to gain more knowledge is fair. However, the practice of giving your money to learn information that is not worth buying is unnecessary and should be avoided completely. As I would always say, do not be deceived by trying to make money quick. Take your time and gain every necessary knowledge.
- The course could be outdated. Jordan Belfort started Straight Line persuasion in the 1990s. Today, commerce has greatly changed. With the increase in the use of the internet and the proliferation of sales points on the internet, sales can hardly be designed correctly. The programme is not set to be completely dynamic. It becomes less and less timely. Thus it loses its relevance with time.
- The scam signature is still present. We cannot completely act like we are unaware of Jordan Belfort’s scam stories. The knowledge of the previous experience cannot be overlooked in so quick a time. Jordan has created a negative reputation which has not gone really far from him. This could be a restraint in the amount of support and trust people will have in them.
Jordan Belfort is indeed the wolf of Wall Street. His aggressive sales pattern has served beneficial overtime. Trying to raise many more sales experts out there is a great exercise for which he should be commended.
On the other hand, sales is one common profession that is very traditional in approach and should be treated as such. Going to pay $2,000 is not necessary.
I still don’t trust Jordan Belfort. His records are still not very clear. If he left dentistry for money, you should be sure he is very money conscious.
If you want to be a professional salesperson, study and practice. I wouldn’t support anyone going to take some dumb course to be a successful salesperson.