Atchley & Assocates is a CPA (Certified Public Accounting) and consulting firm located near Far West/MoPac in North/Central Austin (next door to the HEB).
Karen Atchley is a key partner in the firm, thus the name. Laura Stephens is also a partner of this firm.
I utilized them for my tax preparation services for about 5 years and I just fired them. I am disgusted with them.
In the 5 years I’ve had 5 different accountants. Each year another files my taxes. It seems like it’s a revolving door with constant change.
– Centrally located.
– Booksmart people with nice degrees (that probably will prepare your taxes correctly, but will charge you a ton, make you call them 12 times for an update, then overcharge you again).
– Great parking. Easy access to their office located on the first floor as soon as you walk into the building. (This is great because you can get the heck out of there fast if you need to after you see their bill)
– Nice office furniture. You can tell they don’t shop at Wal-Mart for their furniture. (Now I know why they charge so much).
Laura Stephen’s firm recently (in last year) merged with Atchley’s firm and now offer additional consulting services.
It appears after this merger it all went downhill. I was never that impressed with them to begin with before their merger, but they seemed to be OK.
Below is all the junk I’ve had do deal with for the last 6 months:
For the past 4 years they have charged me between $340-$420 each year to file my taxes.
But this year I received a bill for $890.00 for the same exact tax prep work as the previous year with no heads-up about their “inflation”.
Imagine paying around $400 each year, having the same stuff done each year, then getting a surprise bill for $890 with no warning.
Ummmm, probably not the best way to treat a return customer. I asked them why it was so high, and they gave some lame excuse saying “You sent some of the stuff by email and dropped some off and we had to look around for it”.
Yea, I’ve done the same thing every year. I drop off the physical info I get in the mail from the county/bank, etc, and I send a spreadsheet of all my individual deductions listed.
I take a lot of time to prepare the spreadsheet to make it as easy as possible for them).
But evidently this took them at least 3 minutes to bring up their email and walk to the front desk.
They also took forever to file my LLC paperwork. I had to email or call them no less than 13 times!
My direct contact was so embarrassed that she said there would be no charge (typically $300).
Which I thought was a nice gesture. But, 3 months later I get a bill in the mail for $300! I call them and they said “you have to pay this”.
I reminded them that they said I wouldn’t have to pay it and they said “we’ll look into it”.
Then I got another bill in the mail 2 weeks later for the same amount. I finally settled with them and I agreed to pay 1/2 and they seemed to accept it.
BUT this was a friggin’ nightmare and not worth the dang time it took to get the LLC work done in the first place.
When they merged they bragged about their “additional financial consulting services”, but good luck trying to get time with them to discuss your situation without having to take out a 2nd mortgage on your house!
They recently sent me a letter where they offer to go over your whole financial portfolio for only $1,000.00. What a deal!
– If you like arrogant suits that charge you a ton, work in Ivory towers, and are more pretentious than your furniture salesperson, than you will love these people!
– If you like not getting a heads-up that your bill will increase by over 100% for the same services as the previous year with no warning you will LOVE these people.
– And if you love having to call and email 13 times to get an update on your paperwork, finally having it done 3 months later then told, and then told it’s no charge, and then get a bill 3 months later for $300 dollars, then you are going to be SO happy with this CPA Firm!
And they have nice office furniture.